Sunday, July 26, 2009

Snooze Button Junkie

I am a snooze button addict. I generally set my alarm clock with this in mind, although sometimes I plan on getting up early to do (insert beneficial activity here), and then in my half awake state hit the button thinking "screw it."

This morning was one of those. Unlike other mornings, when the only one I would be annoying is Igby (who lets me know by slowly inserting her claws into my face), this morning was a Goddard Residency morning.

Whereas the previous mornings I awoke before the alarm clock and turned it off, this morning I decided jogging would not be in the plans, and hit the snooze button.

I don't know how long the snooze cycle is, but it feels shorter than the 9 minutes I get at home.

Maybe at one point I contemplated getting up for a bit before hitting the button again. Sometimes if I just listen to the terrible noise, it helps to wake me.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

As I made my way to the door, stopping to put on more decent attire, the visitor signaled again.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

I open the door to a woman, younger in the Gs than I. "Um, are you ok?" she asks. "Your alarm clock has been going off for fifteen minutes and we're wondering if you're OK. We can hear it all over this floor."

"Uh, yeah, I don't know....sorry..." I stammer.

She is now among the ranks of people I am afraid of, will make a nice smile at but avoid all conversations with.

In other news, I've been thinking lately about digging a hole, and getting in. Unlike the holes of others, I imagine my hole to be on the side of a hill, sort of cave like. I imagine how it would feel to be completely surrounded by earth, it contacting my skin, the weight of it. The responsibility-less nature of hiding in a hole.

But then I think....after a while, I will want to be stimulated in some real way, converse, move about. I also think.....I bet I wouldn't last a half hour before I started getting the heeby jeebies-things are crawling on me-get me outta heres.

No comments: